Latest news and highlights from ACT and the community. … Learn more >
Welcome to ACT
We are more alike than we are different. But barriers – real and imagined – often keep people apart. The Alliance for Compassion & Tolerance (ACT) works to overcome the obstacles that discourage or prevent us from understanding one another.
We bring people from Houston and beyond together through education, activities, and actions, opening minds with open arms. Our vision is to build a world where we coexist in peace and unity. Where we connect with one another on a human level, regardless of our religious, racial, or political differences, and with Compassion & Tolerance for each other.
Upcoming Community Events
- Saturday, May 19 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston invites volunteers to celebrate Eid by helping assemble 100 care packages for refugee families. These packages will include household goods and personal care items. This fun event will take place at IM, 3303 Main Street. Houston 77002. Please go to imgh.org/eid to register.
- Thursday, May 31, at 7:45 pm: ACT’s Annual Community Intrafaith Iftar Dinner. Come break fast and have dinner with neighbors, friends, Muslim or not, believer or not, from all faith traditions within and outside Islam. ACT aims to bring together people from all faith traditions, without judgement based on our own belief, and with open arms members of Ahmadiyya, Bohri, Ismaili, Shia, Sufi, Sunni, Zoroastrian, and more faith traditions, with mutual respect and in celebration of each other. Free registration is required, as seating is limited.
What we do
We are actively involved in efforts to create a connected humanity, including:
- Deliver Free and Comprehensive Compassionate Crisis Intervention Workshops to help teens, parents, and leaders better able to recognize, respond, and refer people who may be heading down a path of extreme behaviors like drug and alcohol abuse, gang activity, and other violent and extreme behaviors, before it is too late.
- Working with the Crisis Intervention Hotline of Houston on the ACT: NOW! Initiative to reach teens and youth suffering from mental health illness, depression, substance abuse or other crises.
- Sponsoring tours of places of worship.
- Volunteering to help resettle refugees and feed homebound seniors.
- Providing speakers who promote compassion and tolerance.
- Hosting an annual interfaith iftar during the Muslim month of Ramadan.
- Funding small grants to support compassion and tolerance initiatives.
- Funding students' academic pursuits through our Scholarship Program