Latest news and highlights from ACT and the community. … Learn more >
Welcome to ACT
We are more alike than we are different. But barriers – real and imagined – often keep people apart. The Alliance for Compassion & Tolerance (ACT) works to overcome the obstacles that discourage or prevent us from understanding one another.
We bring people from Houston and beyond together through education, activities, and actions, opening minds with open arms. Our vision is to build a world where we coexist in peace and unity. Where we connect with one another on a human level, regardless of our religious, racial, or political differences, and with Compassion & Tolerance for each other.
- March 2 – 4: Crisis Intervention Hotline Call Counselor Training. Interested in becoming a trained Crisis Call Counselor? Like giving back in a meaningful way? Want to be a resource of good for your community? Want to earn volunteer hours? Become a Crisis Hotline Call Counselor! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details
- April 6 & 7: Symposium on Race, Reconciliation and Film at the Hines Center 500 Fannin St #100, Houston, TX 77002
- Sunday, February 25 at 3:00 pm: Compassion Connection at Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston. Come reconnect with friends, make new ones and see what the Alliance for Compassion & Tolerance is up to! Enjoy delightful finger foods from South Asia and the Middle East and connect with student groups, community organizations and faith groups. Co-Hosted by Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston.
- Community Partners Fair at University of Houston – Downtown – 1 Main St. Room A300 Houston, TX 77002
- CHAT for Change Dinner at the SW Multi-Service Center. An evening of friendship and compassion! These refugee and immigrant families may have come from Afghanistan, Burma, Cuba, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and other parts of the world, but CHAT is striving to make them proud Houstonians. Come listen to the incredible stories of their journeys and how far they have come.
- Risala Foundation talk on Islamaphobia – A Threat to All with Dalia Mogahed.
- Pakistan Student Association General Meeting
- Houston Hate Crimes Forum (see our Events page)
- Hines Center For Spirituality & Prayer: Coming out in Faith
- Candlelight Prayer Vigil for victims of the Sutherland Springs and NYC massacres
What we do
We are actively involved in efforts to create a connected humanity, including:
- Sponsoring tours of places of worship.
- Working with the Crisis Intervention Hotline of Houston to reach teens and youth suffering from mental health illness, depression, substance abuse or other crises
- Volunteering to help resettle refugees and feed homebound seniors.
- Providing speakers who promote compassion and tolerance.
- Hosting an annual interfaith iftar during the Muslim month of Ramadan.
- Funding small grants to support compassion and tolerance initiatives.
- Funding students' academic pursuits through our Scholarship Program