Latest news and highlights from ACT and the community. … Learn more >
Welcome to ACT
We are more alike than we are different. But barriers – real and imagined – often keep people apart. The Alliance for Compassion & Tolerance (ACT) works to overcome the obstacles that discourage or prevent us from understanding one another.
We bring people from Houston and beyond together through education, activities, and actions, opening minds with open arms. Our vision is to build a world where we coexist in peace and unity. Where we connect with one another on a human level, regardless of our religious, racial, or political differences, and with Compassion & Tolerance for each other.
Upcoming Community Events
What we do
We are actively involved in efforts to create a connected humanity, including:
- Deliver Free and Comprehensive Compassionate Crisis Intervention Workshops to help teens, parents, and leaders better able to recognize, respond, and refer people who may be heading down a path of extreme behaviors like drug and alcohol abuse, gang activity, and other violent and extreme behaviors, before it is too late.
- Working with the Crisis Intervention Hotline of Houston on the ACT: NOW! Initiative to reach teens and youth suffering from mental health illness, depression, substance abuse or other crises.
- Sponsoring tours of places of worship.
- Volunteering to help resettle refugees and feed homebound seniors.
- Providing speakers who promote compassion and tolerance.
- Hosting an annual interfaith iftar during the Muslim month of Ramadan.
- Funding small grants to support compassion and tolerance initiatives.
- Funding students' academic pursuits through our Scholarship Program